Home Care Packages

Key Points

  • Home Care Packages are a coordinated package of services tailored to meet the consumer’s specific care needs, while remaining in their homes.
  • Whatever is agreed between you and your provider must be affordable within the funding available for the package.
  • Recent government changes have introduced four package levels to assist older people to remain living at home for as long as possible.
  • There is no minimum age for accessing a Home Care Package, but you will need to be assessed as eligible by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT), or an Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS) in Victoria.
  • All people receiving care under a Home Care Package must be offered a Home Care Agreement.
  • Some packages are delivered on a Consumer Directed Care (CDC) basis, giving you more choice and control over the types of care and services that you receive.
  • Australian government financial assistance is available, although Home Care recipients also contribute to the cost of their care.

Useful Links – Home Care Packages

Useful links for Home Care Packages:  Please note that these links may be subject to change over time. Australian Government   Social Services – Aging and Aged Care – Information Social Services – My Aged Care – Home Care Packages Social Services –…

Home Care Package Assessments & Costs

Read more about ACAT assessments or find your local ACAT. If you are assessed as eligible for a package, you will be put in contact with home care providers in your area. There may be a waiting period for packages in some areas.…

Home Care Service Providers and Agreements

 Australian Government funded home care packages are primarily provided by religious, charitable and community-based providers (83 percent of places), with the remaining 17 percent of places provided by for-profit organisations, and State and Territory and local governments. Home care services across Australia help many…

Choosing the right Home Care Package for you

Ask yourself these questions: Are you an older person who needs some help to stay in your own home? Are you struggling with some aspects of living at home, but you’re still able to manage most of the time? Do you think if…

Home Care Packages Available

Home Care Packages provide home-based care that can improve older Australians’ quality of life and help them to remain active and connected to their own communities. They are coordinated by an approved home care provider, with funding provided by the Australian Government under…