A number a Government services and payments may be available to you.

Read about eligibility and how to start the claiming process for the following payments and services:

  • Bereavement Allowance – a short term income support payment for recently widowed people to help them adjust after the death of their partner
  • Bereavement Payment – helps ease your adjustment to changed financial circumstances after the death of your partner, child or person you were caring for
  • Double Orphan Pension – provides help with the costs of caring for children who are orphans or who are unable to be cared for by their parents in certain circumstances. There is no income or assets test required
  • Pension Bonus Bereavement Payment – is a payment to the surviving partner of a deceased member of the Pension Bonus Scheme, who did not make a successful claim for the bonus before his or her death
  • Widow Allowance – ensures that women have an adequate income if they have become widowed, divorced or separated later in life, were born on or before 1 July 1955 and have no recent workforce experience
  • Social Work Services – Social workers can help you during difficult times by providing confidential counselling, support, and information
  • Financial Information Service – is a free, confidential service available to all Australians.
    The Financial Information Service helps people make informed decisions about investment and financial issues for their current and future needs
  • Someone else to deal with the department on your behalf – If you would prefer to have someone else deal with the department on your behalf about their payments and services, you can authorise a person or organisation to be your nominee or make enquiries only
  • You may also be eligible for Parental Leave Pay, Baby Bonus or Dad and Partner Pay in the case of a stillbirth or infant death. For more information, see the Bereavement Payment section of the department’s website, or call 136 150.