It is a good idea to check with Centrelink, Veteran Affairs and other sources of financial assistance, prior to arranging a funeral service.

Superannuation:  All Australian citizens or permanent residents with Superannuation are eligible to use their personal Superannuation to pay for a funeral or funeral related services for their immediate family.  It can be a time consuming task though, and there are businesses that provide help to people who aren’t comfortable or don’t have the time or understanding to complete complex forms and procedures.  They can also arrange for the application to be processed in a shorter time-frame with the Superannuation Fund.

Please visit our home page under ‘Our Partners’ for businesses that provide this service.

Centrelink:  There is a bereavement payment available from Centrelink. This payment can be made to the spouse or de facto partner of the deceased, or a carer who looked after a deceased child or person. To get a Centrelink bereavement payment, either the deceased person or their spouse or carer must have been getting Centrelink payments before the death of the deceased person. The payment may be either a lump sum or fortnightly instalments depending on the circumstances.

For more information, please visit:  The Australian Government – Human Services – Bereavement Payment

Centrelink:  There is a bereavement allowance available from Centrelink.  This payment can be made as a short-term income support payment for someone whose partner has recently died.  You cannot get Bereavement Allowance if you are already receiving another type of income support payment. However, if you are receiving another payment, it may be more beneficial for you to transfer to Bereavement Allowance.

For more information, please visit:  The Australian Government – Human Services – Bereavement Allowance

Contact Centrelink on 13 23 00 or for more information, please visit:  The Australian Government – Human Services – What to Do Following a Death website 

War Veterans:  If the deceased person was a war veteran or if they were the dependant of a person killed during war service, the Department of Veterans Affairs may be able to pay funeral costs in some circumstances.

A bereavement benefit is a one-off payment towards the funeral costs of an eligible veteran or dependent. Bereavement payments are non-taxable payments made after the death of a person who received certain eligible payments from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

Contact the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) on 13 32 54 (1800 555 254 for regional callers) about how it can help support you with bereavement assistance including the cost of a funeral.

For for more information, please visit:  The Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) website

Other sources of help for funeral costs include the deceased’s employer or union who may have a scheme to assist families of deceased workers. Also try the deceased’s insurer, if the person died of an injury covered by their insurance and/or superannuation plan.

Please also see the section ‘Government Assistance’ on our website for more detailed information on all services offered by both the Federal and State Governments.

If you are experiencing difficulty accessing the required funds to pay for a funeral, please use our Business Directory Search facility to locate ‘Funeral Loan’ providers that can assist you with a personal loan.