Depending on your personal circumstances, you may wish to arrange for a temporary or a more permanent (‘enduring’) arrangement.

For example, if you’re overseas for a while and unable to manage your financial and legal affairs at home, you may appoint someone trustworthy to manage these affairs for you, on a temporary basis only.

If planning for your long term future, in case of the loss of capacity to make your own decisions for whatever reason, you may wish for a more permanent longer term arrangement.

Losing your decision making capacity does not just happen to people who are ageing. A loss of capacity can happen at any time in a person’s life, and this loss may be temporary or permanent.

If you are over 18 and have the capacity to understand the nature and the effect of the power you are giving to an Attorney, it’s important you plan for your future by making an Enduring Power of Attorney and/or an Enduring Power of Guardianship.

If you require a solicitor who services your local area, please see our Business Search facility under ‘Solicitors (Wills & Estates)’ here.