There is assistance available from your State or Territory government, if there are no funds accessible to pay for the funeral.

Destitute Funerals:   This type of funeral applies when a deceased person has no money or assets, and when friends and relatives are unable to pay the cost of the burial or cremation.

If you are a relative or friend of a recently deceased person and are unable to arrange the cost of their funeral, you can apply for assistance with the appropriate government body.

If approved they will authorise the government contractor (the funeral company contracted to the government) to arrange a cremation or burial. Each state and territory has different regulations in this regard.

Please also see the section ‘Government Assistance’ on our website for more detailed information on all services offered by both the Federal and State Governments.

Also, if adequate funds are not available to pay for a suitable funeral, then there are specialised Finance Companies that may be able to help you. Unsecured loans, usually up to a limit of $14,999 may be made available to you, depending on your financial circumstances.

If you are experiencing difficulty accessing the required funds to pay for a funeral, please use our Business Directory Search facility to locate ‘Funeral Loan’ providers that can assist you with a personal loan.