You should check all available options for accessing funds prior to arranging a funeral.

If you are paying for a deceased’s funeral, their bank may be able to release money from their account to pay the funeral expenses, before ‘probate’ is granted. That means before the court validates their Will.

The bank will require relevant documentation such as a funeral director’s tax invoice and possibly the doctor’s ‘Cause of Death Certificate’, and will either issue a bank cheque payable to the funeral director or transfer funds directly into their bank account.

If you think your partner/loved one had a funeral bond or made pre-paid funeral arrangements but you can’t find the paperwork, check with your solicitor or the Executor of the estate.

Some private health and life insurance policies, which are sometimes held through superannuation funds, also pay some funeral costs.

For more information, please visit:  The Australian Securities and Investments Commission’s (ASIC) Moneysmart website.

A bereavement payment may be available through the Department of Human Services.

Please call 13 23 00 (1800 810 586 for TTY service) or visit:  The Australian Government – Department of Human Services – Bereavement Payment

Other allowances may be payable through the following institutions:

  • Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Insurance Companies
  • Transport Accident Commission (VIC)
  • Some private health funds
  • Unions

The following can provide information on allowances which may be payable if you are a member of the immediate family of a homicide victim.

Please note that entitlements can change without notice and we recommend you contact Centrelink for further information on 13 23 00 (1800 810 586 for TTY service) or visit:  The Australian Government – Human Resources – What to do following a death